It doesn’t take long for one to see that the Frenship Tigers boys’ basketball team has a great combination of experience, depth, size, and talent that could make the 2017-2018 season an entertaining and successful ride for everyone involved.
FHS returns six players from a team that finished 21-11 and made the Class 6A area playoffs a year ago. That veteran leadership combined with nine newcomers as well as six players listed at 6-foot-3 or taller in height gives the Tigers the opportunity to be both big and fast.
“This should be a very fun team to coach and watch play,” said fourth-year FHS head coach Paul Page. “We will have the depth flexibility to play fast as well as use our size and play with patience at times. We will have to grow up fast at the guard spots and look to replace varsity experience that was lost to graduation.”
Coach Page expects another great battle in District 2-6A – but a battle the Tigers should find themselves right in the mix.
“Permian looks to be the team to beat, but Odessa High returns the offensive player of the year in Issac Hernandez as well as length inside and should look to make a run at the top spot,” Page said. “Tascosa will be as athletic as they always are and will be program good once again. Both Midland High and Lee will be much improved from last year.
“This will be one of the deepest teams I’ve ever coaches which should allow for a mix of player combinations and matchups. It should be an exciting season.”
Frenship’s season tips off Tuesday, November 14 at 7:30 p.m. when the Tigers welcome Amarillo High to the Tiger Pit. District plays begins January 12 versus Permian.
For a look at the complete 2017-2018 schedule click here.
2017-18 Frenship Tiger Boys Basketball
Returners/Newcomers: 6/9 (2016-2017 stats)
- Jack Kirkpatrick*, 6’6, Sr. Forward
- Skyler Newsome*, 6’4, Jr. Forward
- Ryan Bennett, 6’3, Sr. Guard
- Jaylin Horton, 6’0, Sr. Point Guard
- Mario Urias, 5’11, Sr. Guard
- Graham Cepica, 6’2 Sr. Guard
- Landon Parrott, 6’1, Sr. Guard
- Grayson Gerber, 6’4, Sr, Post
- Dyllin Dominguez, 5’10, Jr. Guard
- Javier Rios, 6’2, Jr. Guard
- Jaden Lemons, 5′ 10, Jr. Guard
- Ja’Marqus Lewis, 6’3, Jr. Forward
- Noble Robinson, 6’2, So. Point Guard
- Drew Turnbow, 6’5, So. Forward
- Calaway Dykes, 5’9, Fr. Guard
*team picture provided by Curry Photography