The Tigers swept the court against Odessa Permian on Friday, October 20, and the energy didn’t die down as the team defeated Midland Legacy on Tuesday, October 24, naming the Tigers as the District Champions. Frenship High School’s Tiger Pit was the place where the team celebrated their new trophy.
“The girls played so well! We were ecstatic as a team when we realized we had won! Taking that high energy and adding it to the joy of senior night and winning the district championship, it was very special,” said Head Volleyball Coach Amy Mangum.
As an athlete having all your hard work payoff is the best feeling, and what’s even better is walking away having further developed your skillset and personal leadership skills. Coach Mangum believes that is what has been one of the biggest lessons the team has learned throughout this season.
“I think we have matured and grown so much as individuals and teammates as the season has gone on,” said Coach Mangum. “I feel like the team chemistry has gotten better, and we have continued to improve on the little things throughout the season!”
Odessa Permian Game Day Results
Frenship defeats Odessa Permian 25-21, 25-23, 15-25, 25-17
- Olivia Whitfield 22 assists, 2 kills
- Scout Trumble 2 aces, 22 assists
- Bliss Dane 16 kills, 14 digs
- Hadlee Welch 9 kills, 2 blocks, 5 digs
- Jaycee Garza 4 aces, 23 digs
- Lauren Villegas 10 kills, 4 blocks, 1 ace, 5 digs
- Kathryn Hiner 7 kills, 4 blocks
Midland Legacy Game Day Results
Frenship defeats Midland Legacy 25-20, 25-18, 25-10
- Olivia Whitfield 15 assists, 2 blocks, 4 digs
- Scout Trumble 14 assists, 3 digs, 2 aces
- Hadlee Welch 16 kills, 2 blocks
- Lauren Villegas 8 kills, 2 blocks
- Kathryn Hiner 4 kills, 5 blocks
- Reagan Roberts 2 kills, 4 blocks
- Jaycee Garza 3 aces, 2 assists, 17 digs
The Tigers have a district record of 9-1 and an overall record of 33-9 for the season. Coming up next, the girls will compete in Playoffs on Tuesday, October 31, at Fort Stockton High School starting at 3:00 p.m. The opponent is currently undetermined.
Congratulations, Tigers! You’re going to do awesome at the Playoffs!
Photo by: Camden Reese, Frenship High School Junior