Students at Frenship ISD have been practicing and preparing for the upcoming STAAR (State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness) tests since school started in August, and now the time has come for them to shine.
Here is a look at the STAAR testing schedule for the week of April 20 – April 22:
Monday, April 20: 5th grade mathematics, 8th grade mathematics
Tuesday, April 21: 3rd grade mathematics, 4th grade mathematics, 6th grade mathematics, 7th grade mathematics, 8th grade social studies
Wednesday, April 22: 3rd grade reading, 4th grade reading, 5th grade science, 6th grade reading, 7th grade reading, 8th grade science
These tests can become an extremely stressful time for students, teachers and parents. Here a few helpful reminders to prepare your student to do their absolute best on test day:
1. Talk to Your Kids About What to Expect– Try to ease some of their stress by pointing out the great things they already have accomplished in that subject area. Remind them that they are making terrific grades in their Language Arts class or that they got an A on their last writing assignment.
2. Get Plenty of Sleep- When your child is not well rested on test day it is hard for them to stay focused. Make sure they get to bed early the night before the big day.
3. Eat a Healthy Breakfast & Lunch- Fuel your child up for success with lots of protein the morning of testing to keep them energized. Try to stay away from super sugary options on test day. The same goes for lunch. Not every student will finish the test before lunch so make sure you are talking to your kids about healthy options to keep their stamina up to finish strong. Always remember breakfast and lunch are available through the school cafeteria, just check with you child’s campus for pricing or meal plan options.
4. Make Sure They Get Free Time After School- After sitting in a desk all day, and their normal school routine is broken for the week, make sure they get some time to play, exercise and release some of the stress from the day. Plus, after they burn off all that built up energy this should help them sleep better!
5. Support and Praise Them- Make sure you are encouraging them. Just your child knowing you are cheering them on can be a big confidence booster. You can even take it a step further and send a special note in their lunch box or backpack telling them you know they’ll do great! For those older students, a simple text in the day letting them know you are thinking of them can make a big difference.
6. Celebrate- Make sure to CELEBRATE that they have finished testing! Acknowledging your child’s hard work and success is a great conclusion to the stressful week. This may include telling them you’ll celebrate with a movie or ice cream at the end of the week. Just remember to try and keep their spirits boosted throughout the week.
We want to wish all our students, staff and parents good luck on testing days. We know how hard you work all year preparing for the STAAR Test and we all are rooting you on! Good luck Tigers.
Additional Information About STAAR and EOC Exams Can Be Found on the TEA website. www.tea.texas.gov