Willow Bend Elementary Student Council was named a 2018 TEPSA Student Leadership Award recipient. They will be recognized in the Leaders ’R Us training in October.
“We were super excited to see that we were selected,” said Mrs. Amanda Flores, Willow Bend Student Council sponsor. “We were the only school in the Lubbock area to qualify for this award! It proves that all their hard work done throughout the year was worth it.”
Forty-nine students represented Willow Bend Student Council last school year when the award was initiated.
To win the award, they had to submit an application siting two service projects, a teacher recommendation letter and council member recommendation. The two service projects submitted were the Winter Wonderland and Raider Ranch.
“Sometimes our students may not have seen the difference they were making in our school and community, but this truly justifies what they were always working towards,” said Flores.
Fun facts about Willow Bend Student Council:
- The organization elects a president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, historian and sergeant of arms
- Mrs. Amanda Flores and Coach Elisa Gonzales are their sponsors
- Their council is called Delta Lambda Sigma, which aligns with No Excuses University
- Their Greek letters stand for “Dedicated Leaders through Service”
- They raised $1,500 last year to donate to various causes including the Salvation Army, books for their library, props for their news crew and 5th grade graduation
- They organized events including Winter Wonderland, Cupid Shuffle Valentines Dance, Pastries with Parents, Red Ribbon Week, Anti-bully Prevention Month and Teacher Appreciation Week